Wednesday, December 12, 2012

#reverb12 - Days 8, 9, 10 and 11

#reverb12
I saw a link to this on Sew Fashionably Modest
There are daily prompts for the month of December that allow you to reflect on 2012 and plan for 2013. I didn't sign up (I've got enough commitments for the moment), but I like the idea of taking time to really reflect on the past year.

Okay, so I said I didn't have time to keep up with this, but when I have a few moments - I've been going back to the original post on I Saw You Dancing and working through the list of prompts..... More than likely, I'll finish all of the prompts - just not on the exact schedule.


Day 8 - What was your most important relationship?
Considering the idea that nothing lasts forever: what was the most important relationship that you fostered in 2012?  How will you continue to nurture it in 2013?

The most important relationship that I nurtured in 2012 was with the online community of sewists.  Although, I've been lurking in the background of several blogs for a while, in 2012: I joined Pattern Review, I started following sewing blogs, I attended PR Weekend in NYC, and, I opened myself up to people who are passionate about about sewing and are able to understand fitting frustrations. 

In 2013, I'll continue to blog and follow blogs.  I've purchased some new patterns that I'll start working through - so, I'll have some different things to post about on Pattern Review.  Although, I won't be able to go to San Francisco for PR Weekend - hopefully, there will be an opportunity to meet up with others on the East Coast.  I will attend the Original Sewing and Quilting Expo in Atlanta.  And, I'm looking at joining ASG.


Day 9 - Your favorite book?
What was the best book you read in 2012?  Why did you read it?  And, why was it your favorite?

This was a hard one for me.  I love to read and I've read many books this year that I referenced all through out the year.  Before I reveal my favorite book - here are the honorable mentions: 1) romance novels (I have 6) by Johanna Lindsey (everybody loves a Lindsey - especially, me); 2) romance novels by Betty Neels (I have 5); 3) Vogue Sewing, Revised and Updated; 4) the Left Behind Series - I'm on book 8 (I know, tardy for the party); and, 5) How to have more than enough by Dave Ramsey.

Book - My Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

I've read this book at the beginning of each year for the last 3 years.  I read it this year because now, it's like part of my annual rite of passage.  I read the book - I compare this year's answers to year's past.  I evaluate what's going right financially - and, what's going wrong. 

What made it my favorite book this year?  I was in a mental space to really follow the principals laid out in the book.  I mean - everybody I know is in debt - it's just a way of life. I think it just took time for me to determine - debt is not how I choose to enjoy my life. Now, I'm working towards being financially at peace.

This book isn't 3 steps to wealth and prosperity.  It's a no-nonsense approach to using the income you currently have and working towards building the wealth that you want.  It's broken down into 7 baby steps.  Although, if you join the web community there are a few pre-baby steps as well.  I started working through the baby steps.  I made a commitment to stop using debt (see Day 10, about my greatest risk this year).  I took an honest and total look at my finances - I mean, I looked at everything!  I cut some of the unnecessary from my life (really, Audrey Starbucks twice a week is not conservative spending).  I made a realistic spending plan (there are things that I need - sometimes, it's a cup of Starbucks).  I completed Baby Step 1 - save a basic emergency fund.  And, now I'm on Baby Step 2 - paying off debt.  Although, there's a part of me - when I first read this book - that felt like it was impossible, I believe I can do it.  I will do it.  I want to be debt free. 


Day 10 - Your greatest risk?
What was the greatest risk you took in 2012?  What was the outcome?

I made a decision to stop using credit cards.  I know, it seems like the risk would be in using them - LOL!  But, I mean - I stopped living like my credit card was the back up plan.  I put on my big girl panties, made a reasonable spending plan, and a conscious decision not to use my credit cards (yes, that's plural) anymore.  The craziest part, is that I kept one of them.... Thinking, if I travel I'm going to need my credit card - although, I did use it to check into the hotel in Vegas, at checkout I used my debit card to pay the bill.  And, the best part - after my trip was over, all I had was my fuzzy memories and sore feet because I didn't have a credit card bill lurking in the background.

Day 11 - What was music to your ears in 2012?
What was music to your ears in 2012, literally or metaphorically?

2012 has been the year of the Re-Invention of Audrey, so there have been lots of different noises that have sounded gloriously beautiful majestic and, even miraculous to my ears!  They are listed below in no particular order.

The first time I told myself "no, you have to wait to buy that." 
A major departure for me, but also a major revelation.  Even though, I can't hear it - there's a yellow sticky note on the front of my debit card that says "Is this a NEED or a WANT?" I always answer the question. 

The humming of my sewing machine....
And, when you consider the number of seams that I rip out and re-stitch on everything I make.  There was a considerable amount of humming from my "magic maker" not to mention muttering (we'll call it happy noises) from me.  LOL!

Well, I didn't hear a sound - but, I felt like I did - when I got my first credit card statement that showed a zero balance.  Oh, yeah! 

And, especially right now - in this moment.  I'm listening to the tap of my fingers against the keyboard.... and, it is music to my ears....


What about you?
What was your most important relationship?
Your favorite book?
Your greatest risk?
What was music to your ears in 2012?

Needles Up,
Always Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment